End of tenancy cleaning can be time consuming and the last thing you want to do when moving home. We would alway recommend that you use a professional cleaning company to deal with your end of tenancy clean. However, if you’re pretty hands on and don’t mind doing it yourself, we thought a few more useful hacks will help you along the way!
Kitchen Cleaning Hacks
- Clean stove burners by putting them in plastic bags overnight with 1/4 cup ammonia. (Wear gloves; do in a well-ventilated area.)
- Sanitize your garbage disposal during home cleaning by freezing lemon slices and vinegar in an ice-cube tray. Run 2 or 3 cubes through the disposal.
- Keep your kitchen drain unclogged by pouring boiling water down it weekly.
- Clean stainless steel appliances by buffing gently with flour on a dampened cloth.
- For a clean microwave, mix 1 cup of water with chopped lemon. Heat 5 minutes in the microwave. Let cool and wipe the inside.
- Clean your broiler pan or oven racks by scrubbing with salt.
- Eliminate dishwasher stains by pouring in lemon drink-mix powder and running an empty cycle.
- Knock out kitchen-wall grease stains during home cleaning by sprinkling cornstarch on a damp sponge and rubbing the stains.
Bathroom Cleaning Hacks
- Sprinkle baking soda in the toilet at night. In the morning, swish and flush.
- Remove lime or calcium on faucets by soaking a towel in vinegar. Wrap it around the area and put cling wrap on the outside. Leave overnight.
- Remove bathroom soap scum during home cleaning with 1/2 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, and 5 drops of dishwashing liquid. Scrub with a sponge or brush.
Laundry Room Cleaning Hacks
- Clean your washer by pouring in a cup of bleach or white vinegar (use more for a top loader) and running a hot-water cycle.
- Clean in and under your dryer’s lint filter with your vacuum’s wand attachment.
- Eliminate laundry room smells with 1 cup baking soda plus 2 drops essential oil in an old sock. Hang where the odor is the worst.
Other useful Hacks
- Wipe ant-infested areas with white vinegar; then sprinkle cinnamon where you saw ants (do a test first to guard against stains).
- Polish copper with ketchup. Apply liberally, leave for an hour, and wipe away.
- Clean glass with newspapers instead of paper towels; no lint is left behind.
- An open box of baking soda removes odors from smelly areas.
- Clean pet carpet stains by removing pet soil, dissolving a few tablespoons of baking soda in a spray bottle, spraying the carpet, and blotting with a dry towel.
- Eradicate water marks on wood by mixing half ashes, half mayonnaise. Apply to the water mark; rub gently with a cloth.
References (for bedtime reading ;))
- The 11 best life hacks for keeping your kitchen fabulous. (2013, November 8). Huffington Post.
- Brown, N. (2013, October 29). 30 squeaky-clean laundry hacks. Buzz Feed.
- Burton, N. (n.d.). Surprising bathroom cleaning hacks. Mom.Me.
- Cleaning hacks. (n.d.). Lifehacker.
- Piro, L. (2014, July 10). 10 foods that are surprisingly good cleaners. Good Housekeeping.
- Valliant, M. (2014, August 15). Cleaning hacks for 12 things you thought would stay dirty forever. Hella Wella.
- Walsh, J. M. (2015, May 29). 9 genius kitchen cleaning hacks you need to know. My Domaine.